Oikos is Australia wide, and consists of teams of volunteers seeking to be friends to simple relational churches. It was begun by Bessie Pereira, who in 1989 God called out of the Anglican ministry to be an encourager of “new ways of church that are relational and to work with Home Churches in particular.”
The following is taken from the Oikos website:
What we do -
- We encourage networking on a friendship basis only. Contacts are maintained when welcomed, via visits, phone, email etc.
- We provide resources when requested. Many are available free on this site.
- We run seminars in areas to provide encouragement and information for people interested in church as small and relational. We also run seminars on specific topics such as conflict resolution, how to start, disciple-making and multiplication, children and youth in small church etc.
- We publish a quarterly newsletter to provide a link with news and information helpful to small groups. We encourage you to subscribe. If you would like to be in touch with us on a more personal level, then regular updates to Partners keep them in the loop with the latest.
- Blog, Facebook page, Skype and Twitter are other means we use to keep in touch.
What we are NOT -
- We are not a ‘covering’ organisation. We believe Jesus Christ is the covering for His church.
- We do not have groups ‘belonging’ to OIKOS. We are an independent friendship ministry towards them.
- We don’t have any rights, power or authority over any group.
The Gathering was commenced by David Orton of LifeMessenger, and is now led by Craig Kirkby. From the LifeMessengerwebsite:
‘The Gathering – Melbourne’ is an emerging citywide ‘wineskin’ for the church of Melbourne, Australia. It is an event, and a process.
The event is a gathering for all followers of Jesus in greater Melbourne who are looking for the fulfilment of his prayer that “they all may be one” (Jn 17).
Arrow on Swanston, 488 Swanston Street, Carlton VIC 3053 Australia.
The 2011 diary: 6:00pm – 8:30pm on the 5th March, 4th June, 6th August and October (Date: To Be Advised) 2011.
‘The Gathering – Melbourne’ is designed to catalyse a re-forming of the body of Christ across a whole city so that “they all may be one”. However, for this to occur a revolution must come.
Malcolm and Diana are the Oikos regional team for Melbourne Western Suburbs. They also take part in the Converge meetings of The Gathering, exploring apostolic/prophetic leadership for the church in Melbourne.